Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Browns Draft 2011 Follow-Up

-This is a quick follow up post to my previous entry on the possible names the Browns could draft. From what I gather (from numerous sources), the Browns have DT Marcell Dareus as one of the favorite targets, although he is expected to be taken #2 by the Denver Broncos.

-Another name to remember is LB Von Miller. I didn't write about Dareus or Miller because I believe they will be taken by the Broncos and Bills in that order. If the Bills do surprise everyone and take CB Patrick Peterson, Miller could be taken by the Browns.

-I am of the belief and have read that the Browns have no interest in Auburn QB Cam Newton, and I am happy about that. While his physical tools are great, his ability to run out of the pocket are superior and he has stepped up when his team needed him, I am very concerned about his football IQ, accuracy, ability to read coverages and high character concerns. He seems more interested in being a superstar and icon, then being a great football player and winner. He was kicked out of the University of Florida for cheating and during his recruitment, his father auctioned him off to the highest bidder, yet Cam had no idea this was going on. During ESPN's Jon Gruden QB Camp Show, Cam basically admitted that they really didn't call plays at Auburn and that he would read one progression and make a play. When running the WCO, this is not the ideal mindset to have. While he may be confident, he does not seem humble. There seems to be this air around him that he is bigger than everything and that different rules apply to him. I would stay far away from him.....

-DT Nick Fairley is a player that I did not mention last week because I don't believe we will draft him. I think Peterson, Green and Quinn are rated higher than Fairley. I am not on the Fairley bandwagon, even though he would fill a need on our defensive line. He has solid size for a 4-3 lineman at 6'3 291, who can get through opposing offensive lineman, deliver punishing hits, display a repertoire of moves and was productive against some of the best competition in the SEC (11.5 sacks in 14 games). I am concerned about his focus, motor and character concerns. Reportedly, he showed up late to a meeting with an NFL team. I don't like defensive lineman that have talent but don't have a good work ethic or motor. I would rather have Robert Quinn over Fairley, because he has less character concerns, is more athletic, has more potential and less of a bust factor. When you are drafting in the top 10, the key is to get the best player you possibly can, that can make an impact on your team, while balancing downside risk. Fairley is a lot riskier than Green, Peterson, Jones and Quinn. He sounds a lot like Gerrard Warren to me....

In review, I will say that if the Bengals don't draft A.J. Green, and instead take QB Blaine Gabbert (Cincinnati Inquirer reported that Gabbert came in for a workout), then Patrick Peterson could be drafted by the Arizona Cardinals at #5. This would leave Green, Jones, Quinn and Fairley for the Browns. My first option obviously would be Green, then Jones, then Quinn, then look to trade down and then Fairley. If the Bengals take Green at #4, the Cardinals take Gabbert at #5, I would be more than happy taking Peterson at #6, then targeting a DT/DE in round 2, a WR in round 3 and a RT in later rounds. There are numerous scenarios that could take place, including a trade down by the Browns, but I think we stay place because Peterson and Green are too good to pass up at #6, if they are there. This is why the NFL Draft is so exciting and fun, no one really knows what will happen...

Thats it for now, thanks for reading! Go Cleveland!

-Raz

No comments: